WELCOME! COVID-19 TEMPLE UPDATE
To Toronto Buddhist Church members, friends and supporters:
As of April 8, 2021, the Temple will be closed for at least 28 days during Ontario’s current State of Emergency and the Stay-At-Home Order. While our office will be closed, we are still working so please leave a message either by telephone or email. All messages will be answered promptly. If your request is URGENT and outside regular business hours, please contact Reverend Ouchi here or indicate its urgency in your message. Thank you for your understanding.
The safety of all our temple members and guests continue to be at the forefront and we thank everyone for their flexibility and support throughout this past year. Please continue to enjoy our weekly services through Zoom and stay safe.
Please read on for the latest update.
CHANGES TO OUR SERVICES (Updated April 8, 2021)
Thank you for visiting our update page. The temple is once again closed for in-person services but we continue to hold weekly virtual services through Zoom. Throughout this last year we have been constantly changing how we hold services, depending on the provincial and municipal requirements. We appreciate your flexibility and your support. Please keep referencing this site for the most up to date information.
Zoom has given our attendees an opportunity to see each other and have some interaction before and after services in a safe manner. You will be able to participate in the services with a computer (with a working microphone and speakers and a camera), a smart phone or a tablet. You can also watch and listen to the services if you do not have a camera on your computer. Let us know if you are having difficulties.
If you are interested in attending the virtual Zoom Services, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on the invitation list. Hope to “see” you there!
Please read General Requirements/Protocols below.
SOME HIGHLIGHTS of the new Safety Protocols
- You will be required to register your attendance in advance
- Each attendee must complete and submit a health questionnaire for every service
- You will be required to wear a face covering at all times while on TBC property, sanitize your hands and observe physical distancing practices.
- The temple will be fully cleaned after each service with all high touch areas sanitized/ disinfected frequently.
- The office will not be accessible on Sunday. Please speak with a volunteer for your requests.
- The upper and lower levels are closed. Lower level washrooms are reserved for emergencies only.
SOME HIGHLIGHTS of Changes
- There will be no group singing or chanting out loud. Minister/leader only.
- There will be no books, nenju, headsets, or montoshikisho to borrow
- Please leave your offertory in the box as no baskets will be passed
- There will be no refreshments or socializing inside the temple after services.
- All services are live-streamed.
While we have taken every precaution to assure a safe and clean environment, please consider your own risk category and your willingness and ability to abide by our safety protocols prior to attending in-person services.
We hope you are well and we look forward to seeing you soon.
TBC Board of Directors
Click on the link below to download the Cover-19 Questionnaire. Please print and fill in the details prior to attending service, it will be collected at the front door. If you are unable to print the questionnaire copies will be available at the Temple.
General Requirements/Protocols for Service Attendees
To help reduce and minimize exposure to and to control the spread of COVID-19, the following protocols will be implemented for those attending in-person services.
- Due to the restricted numbers permitted in the hondo, anyone who wishes to attend an in-person service on Sunday, will be required to pre-register via email, our website or telephone, by Thursday at midnight. The preferred method is through email or our website so as not to overwhelm the office. Registration on the website is available for all services marked OPEN. Registration by telephone is available only starting the Monday prior. All attendees (including children) must be registered. Please indicate if you wish to sit with others who are in your social circle. Registration after Thursday is by availability only – including seating preferences.
- There are no in-person CHILDREN’S SERVICES or KID’S SANGHA at this time. Our virtual Kid’s Sangha takes place on the fourth Sunday of the month. Please email email@example.com be placed on the invitation list.
- All individuals will be asked to sanitize their hands and submit a completed health questionnaire to a greeter as they enter the temple through the front door only. This information will be used for contact tracing purposes and will be destroyed after 30 days. Please arrive early to allow for physical distancing and entry protocols.
- Anyone who has travelled outside the country within the past 2 weeks, is not feeling well, is showing any of the signs listed in the health questionnaire, or suspects they have been exposed to COVID-19 should stay home.Please join the TBC Broadcast Group (please see our calendar page for the link) to view our live-streamed on Facebook Live.
- Everyone will be required to wear a face covering for the entire time they are on TBC property (including the parking lot) as required by the City of Toronto By-Law 541-2020.
- TBC will have disposable non-surgical face masks or reusable cloth face masks available for purchase/donation for those who do not bring their own.
- Any individual who cannot or refuses to wear a face covering will be asked to leave, as we are concerned about the safety of everyone attending our services.
- Everyone will be directed into the Hondo and assisted to find a seat. Please do not move the chairs.
- Everyone is asked to bring their own nenju, montoshikisho and service books, if you have them as there will be none to borrow. Headsets will not be available. You will be asked to hold your homyo cards in your lap if you bring them.
- There will be no group singing or chanting out loud. Only the Minister/leader will chant.
- Offertory baskets will not be passed. Please leave your offertory in the box at the entrance to the hondo.
- At the end of the service, everyone will be escorted directly out of the building. Cleaning and disinfecting of the temple will take place.
- There will be no public access to the 2ndfloor and lower level areas. Lower level washrooms are reserved for emergencies only.
- The elevator will be limited to one person unless you are in the same household.
To Register for Services:
Visit our Website at https://tbc.on.ca/
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us at: 416-534-4302
Whether you are new to our Temple or a long time member, please feel free to check out more information by clicking on the links to the left to learn more about us.